4700 Keele Street
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Dr. Marin Litoiu
I am a Postdoctoral Fellow with Marin Litoiu's research
group at York University. I obtained my
PhD (Computing Science) in 2011 at the University
of Alberta, with Eleni Stroulia and the Service
Systems Research Group. My
Masters and Honours Bachelor degrees are from Dalhousie
University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with supervisors Jacob Slonim,
Mike McAllister, and Kelly
My preferred approach to research is solving
real, interesting computing science problems in industry or in collaborations
with other disciplines. I am most passionate about work that is collaborative,
participatory, interdisciplinary, socially relevant, and
cross-institution. My research has
followed an interesting revolution, through the following topics in roughly
reverse chronological order: Cloud Computing, Adaptive Systems,
Service-oriented Systems, Software Engineering, Software Maintenance, Software
Reverse Engineering, Aspect-oriented systems, Web Applications, Policy
Enforcement, Privacy, Confidentiality, Security, Trust, Privacy-enhancing
technologies, and Electronic Health Records.
I am on various program committees have reviewed papers for many conferences; however, I am still accepting new assignments. :)
- [Journal] Michael Smit and Eleni Stroulia. Simulating Service-Oriented Systems: A Survey and the Services-Aware Framework. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, 2012.
- Michael Smit, Przemyslaw Pawluk, Bradley Simmons, and Marin Litoiu. A web service for cloud metadata. In IEEE Congress on Services, To Appear, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, 2012. IEEE Computer Society.
- Przemyslaw Pawluk, Bradley Simmons, Michael Smit, Marin Litoiu, and Serge Mankovski. Intro- ducing STRATOS: A cloud broker service. In IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), To Appear, 2012. (Acceptance Rate: 17%.)
- Cornel Barna, Mark Shtern, Michael Smit, Vassilios Tzerpos, and Marin Litoiu. Model-based adap- tive DOS attack mitigation. In Proceedings of 7th International Symposium on Software Engineering for Adaptive and Self-Managing Systems, 2012. To Appear. (Acceptance Rate: 30%.)
- [Chapter] Himanshu Vashishtha, Michael Smit, and Eleni Stroulia. Migrating a legacy web-based document-analysis application to Hadoop: An experience report. In Migrating to SOA and Cloud Environments: Challenges in Service Oriented Architecture and Cloud Computing Environments. IGI Global, 2012. To Appear.
- [Chapter] Yuriy Brun, Ron Desmarais, Kurt Geihs, Marin Litoiu, Antonia Lopes, Mary Shaw, and Michael Smit. A design space for adaptive systems. In Software Engineering for Self-adaptive Systems II, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2012. To Appear.
- Koosha Golmohammadi, Michael Smit, and Osmar Zaiane. Learning Actions in Complex Soft- ware Systems. In 13th International Conference on Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery (DAWAK), pages 367–381, 2011. (Acceptance Rate: 30%.)
- Michael Smit and Eleni Stroulia. Automated state-space exploration for configuration management of service-oriented applications. In Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Web Services, ICWS ’11, pages 468–475, Washington, DC, USA, 2011. (Acceptance Rate: 17%.
- Himanshu Vashishtha, Michael Smit, and Eleni Stroulia.
Moving text analysis tools to the cloud. In IEEE Congress on Services, pages
107–114, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, 2010. (Placed third.)
- Michael Smit, K. Lyons, M. McAllister, and J. Slonim. Detecting privacy infractions in applications: A framework and
methodology. In IEEE 6th International Conference on Mobile Adhoc and Sensor
Systems, 2009. MASS’09., pages 694–701. IEEE, 2009. (Acceptance Rate: 23%.)
- Michael Smit, Eleni Stroulia, and Kenny Wong. Use case
redocumentation from gui event traces. In European Conference on Software
Maintenance and Reengineering, pages 263–268, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, 2008. IEEE
Computer Society. (Acceptance Rate: 28%.)
- Michael Smit, Andrew Nisbet, Eleni Stroulia, Andrew
Edgar, Gabriel Iszlai, and Marin Litoiu. Capacity planning for service-oriented
architectures. In CASCON ’08: Proceedings of the 2008 conference of the Center
for Advanced Studies on collaborative research, pages 144–156, New York, NY,
USA, 2008. ACM. (Acceptance Rate: 30%.)
Refereed Workshops & Short Papers
- Michael Smit and Eleni Stroulia. Maintaining and Evolving
Service Level Agreements: Mo- tivation and Case Study. In IEEE International
Workshop on the Maintenance and Evolution of Service-Oriented and Cloud-Based
Systems, To Appear, 2011.
- Michael Smit, Barry Gergel, H. James Hoover, and Eleni
Stroulia. Code Convention Adher- ence in Evolving Software. In IEEE
International Conference on Software Maintenance Early Research Achievements,
To Appear, 2011.
- Michael Smit and Eleni Stroulia. Autonomic configuration
adaptation based on simulation- generated state-transition models. In 37th
EUROMICRO Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications, 2011.
- Michael Smit and Eleni Stroulia. Exploring simulation-based configuration decisions. In
Paul Maglio, Mathias Weske, Jian Yang, and Marcelo Fantinato, editors, Service-Oriented Computing,
volume 6470 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 684–685. Springer
Berlin / Heidelberg, 2010.
- Michael Smit and Eleni Stroulia. Configuration decision
making using simulation-generated data. In E. Maximilien, Gustavo Rossi,
Soe-Tsyr Yuan, Heiko Ludwig, and Marcelo Fantinato, editors, Service-Oriented
Computing, volume 6568 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 15–26.
Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2010.
- Michael Smit, Andrew Nisbet, Eleni Stroulia, Gabriel
Iszlai, and Andrew Edgar. Toward a simulation-generated knowledge base of
service performance. In MWSOC ’09: Proceedings of the 4th International
Workshop on Middleware for Service Oriented Computing, Nov 2009.
- Giuseppe A. Di Lucca, Michael Smit, Bruce Fraser, Eleni
Stroulia, and H. James Hoover. Comprehending aspect-oriented programs:
Challenges and open issues. In International Con- ference on Program
Comprehension, pages 286–292, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, 2007.
- Michael Smit, M. McAllister, and J. Slonim. Building public trust for electronic health records. In Proceedings of Privacy,
Security, and Trust, 2005.
- Michael Smit, M. McAllister, and J. Slonim. Privacy of
electronic health records: Public opinion and practicalities. In Networking and
Electronic Commerce Research Conference, Lake Garda, Italy, 2005.
Supporting Quality of Service, Configuration, and
Autonomic Reconfiguration using Services-Aware Simulation.
Detecting Privacy Infractions in e-Commerce Software
Applications: A Framework and Methodology